Re: reenabling quota after xfs_repair

To: Robert Sander <robert.sander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: reenabling quota after xfs_repair
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:29:28 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Meskes <meskes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 11:13:43AM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:38:12AM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
>
> That's the problem - I think you need to move forwards from this version,
> 3.01-pre2 is the first with XFS support. There is a 3.01-final available
> here:
>
>       http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxquota/

I think Steve's answered everything here and I agree that
a more recent version of the quota tools could resolve the
problems you are seeing.  If not, let me know.

Are you using Debian?  The versioning scheme used there
is a bit different - 3.00pre01-15 is fairly recent, but
not quite the same as 3.01-final from sourceforge.  I've
forwarded Michael's explanation of his numbering scheme,
below.  I have successfully used the 3.00pre01-15 Debian
package with XFS for quite some time now.

I have never investigated the circumstances under which
xfs_repair decides XFS quotas are cactus and resets them
(I haven't needed to yet)... walk through the code if you
need to know more.  This might also be useful to you -
xfsdump will automatically detect a filesystem with quota
enabled and backs up the limit information at the time of
the dump (stores it in a new file in the dump) - see the
xfsdump man page.

cheers.

--
Nathan