Re: A question about upgrading

To: s-luppescu@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: A question about upgrading
From: "Martin K. Petersen" <mkp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Oct 2001 10:43:50 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

>> In light of the immenent release of RedHat 7.2, will there be a
>> release of th e 7.2 installer modified for xfs as before?

Steve> There is installer work ongoing, Martin Peterson was taking a
Steve> crack at this, I will have to let him fill you in on his
Steve> progress.

Yep, I've been modifying anaconda 7.2 (the Red Hat installer) to
support XFS.  The code has changed a lot since 7.1 - anaconda actually
supports other filesystems than ext2 natively now (due to RH shipping
ext3).  However, the many changes in this area also means that most of
the hacks we did for the 7.1 release are now null and void.

So it has essentially been adding XFS support from scratch.  I still
have a few bootloader issues to sort out and I'm waiting for Eric to
finish some kernel changes.  Plus we want to do some QA, of course...

In any case a 7.2 XFS installer is happenening, so stay tuned.

--
Martin K. Petersen, Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
mkp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.linuxcare.com/