Re: patching CVS tree

To: Hristo Grigorov <Hristo.Grigorov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: patching CVS tree
From: Alan Eldridge <alane@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 04:14:26 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 11:03:53AM +0300, Hristo Grigorov wrote:

>I want to patch the xfs CVS tree with the kernel preemptive patch.
>But, what happens on the next cvs update? Does it remove it automatically ?

Umm, what happens is that you confuse the crap out of CVS. It would be an
ill-advised thing to do.

>And, is it in general recommended to do that or I have to clone the CVS tree
>every time and do my "nasty" expreriments there ? What's your opinion on
>that ?

Apply your patches each time to a separate build copy. You don't want to
build out of the CVS tree, anyway. Keep it untouched so you can do 'cvs
update' to just pick up the deltas.

--
Alan Eldridge
from std_disclaimer import *