Re: patching CVS tree

To: Hristo Grigorov <Hristo.Grigorov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: patching CVS tree
From: Alan Eldridge <alane@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 04:14:26 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 11:03:53AM +0300, Hristo Grigorov wrote:

>I want to patch the xfs CVS tree with the kernel preemptive patch.
>But, what happens on the next cvs update? Does it remove it automatically ?

Umm, what happens is that you confuse the crap out of CVS. It would be an
ill-advised thing to do.

>And, is it in general recommended to do that or I have to clone the CVS tree
>every time and do my "nasty" expreriments there ? What's your opinion on
>that ?

Apply your patches each time to a separate build copy. You don't want to
build out of the CVS tree, anyway. Keep it untouched so you can do 'cvs
update' to just pick up the deltas.

Alan Eldridge
from std_disclaimer import *