Re: gcc 2.95.4-prerelease RPMS

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gcc 2.95.4-prerelease RPMS
From: Joseph Fannin <jhf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:29:32 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday 13 October 2001 09:58, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Hi Joseph - can you put up a src.rpm as well, if alien can do this?  I'm
> curious about how much this version is patched, or is it "vanilla" from
> gcc.gnu.org?
>

> Joseph Fannin wrote:
> >     So I've rolled some 2.95.4-prerelease rpms -- well, actually, I just
> > converted them from .debs with alien.  I've tested them on RedHat 7.1 and
> > they seem to work fine, both in install and for building an -xfs kernel.
> > I don't see any benefit in making new ones from scratch.

    Hmmm, I didn't think of that until after I went to bed last night. Thanks.

    No, alien can't repackage source packages.  I'll look through the debian
source package to see if I can find any patches.

    Also, I may create "real" 2.95.4-prerelease RPMS, if I think I can do it
*correctly* (The 2.96 .spec file, at least, is scary -- over 100 patches!) I
can certainly understand people who might not trust alien or trust rpms where
they can't see the source, especially for building kernels.

--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Bull in pure form is rare; there is usually some contamination by data."
    -- William Graves Perry Jr.