Re: Oops on recovery with Linux-2.4.11-xfs on SPARC

To: Sean Neakums <sneakums@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Oops on recovery with Linux-2.4.11-xfs on SPARC
From: Anders Hammarquist <iko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:30:41 +0200
Cc: Linux XFS <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm also trying to get XFS going on sparc64, with some luck at least...

> xfs_repair got to phase three before dying with a Bus Error, but
> whatever it managed to do was enough the let the filesystems be mounted
> again, until the next reboot.

I traced this to an apparent alignment error. Setting BMBT_USE_64 in
include/xfs_bmap_btree.h to 0 cures it, and xfs_repair runs fine (or
at least appears to).

I suspect that there are more issues with reading stuff from odd addresses
in the XFS code, though I haven't been able to pinpoint any others.
It seems kind of odd, since they say it runs on IA64 and I would guess
that it too would break from unaligned accesses...

/Anders

Anders Hammarquist                                  | iko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Physics student, Chalmers University of Technology, | Hem: +46 31 88 48 50