Re: 2.4.11 and large files

To: Robert Sander <gurubert-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.4.11 and large files
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:26:31 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 05:34:19PM +0000, Robert Sander wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:08:28 +0000 (UTC),
>  Derek Glidden <dglidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No, actually, it had nothing to do with any 2GB limit.  Even doing mkfs
> > on a small test partition resulted in some sort of "file size limit"
> > error.  (I don't remember the exact error message now.)  It looked to me
> > like quotas were broken, but since I don't absolutely need them, I just
> > assumed it was more 2.4 breakage and ignored it.
>
> I just booted another 2.4.11 kernel the same as before just without
> quota support, and it works now. Strange correlation, don't you think?

Indeed.  Can you tell me whether you have both XFS Quota support
and (VFS) Quota support enabled? - they are separate options at
kernel build time.  Could you try switching OFF XFS quota support
(but leaving the normal Quota support ON), and see if the problem
persists?

FWIW, I have had both forms of quota enabled on all my kernels for,
well all 2.4 kernels, and have not come across these issues, so I'm
very curious & would really like to reproduce it locally.

thanks.

--
Nathan