Re: CXFS [was: XFS (v.1.0.1 for RedHat 7.1) and XFS (Irix 6.5.13m) diffe

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CXFS [was: XFS (v.1.0.1 for RedHat 7.1) and XFS (Irix 6.5.13m) differ?]
From: Sven G Hyberts <shyberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:05:35 -0400
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, Sebastian Kun <seb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Eric,

        Thanks for all the activity my question produced!  I starting to
grasp the problems with a fast, distributed, file-system!  I also have
come to realize really how good XFS is!

        I made a couple of attempts to get GFS on a Linux machine.  It
turned out to quite hard - and once I got it through the compiler, I get
the notice that several functions are not defined.  Maybe I give it
another attempt - yet after realizing that it is a non-journaling file
system format, the lure isn't as "shiny" any more...

        I do not have enough money to check out SANergy from Tivoli -
after all, it seem to be the only product around currently that is
available cross-platform for SGI and Linux(RedHat).  Still, it seem a bit
as an NFS wrap more than a real product.

        Left is CXFS - if this is as good as XFS, it is most likely a
great product.  Yet, the price level still seem unreasonable for a
non-critical environment, and currently there is no Linux release.  If
there would be a way to come in contact with someone who could respond to
my concerns around CXFS, it would be greatly appreciated.

        Sincerely,
Sven G. Hyberts, Ph.D                             Research Associate
Harvard University, Medical School  e-mail: sven_hyberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
240 Longwood Ave; Dept BCMP          voice: (617) 432-1721, 432-3211
Boston MA 02115 - USA                  fax: (617) 738-0516, 432-4383