Re: Linus broke it again?

To: Alan Eldridge <alane@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linus broke it again?
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 00:49:48 +1000
Cc: SGI XFS Dev List <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:35:51 -0400,
Alan Eldridge <alane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>+ make -s -j 1 CC=kgcc modules
>generic_serial.c:1074: parse error before
>`this_object_must_be_defined_as_export_objs_in_the_Makefile'

Don't blame Linus, blame the kernel build and modutils maintainers who
put that change it.  Oops, they are me :).  Seriously though, the
change was to detect objects that export symbols but the developer
forgot to define them as export-objs in the Makefile.

>Well, that's special. EXPORT_SYMTAB is not actually defined ANYWHERE, so
>every invocation of the EXPORT_SYMBOL macro results in a #error directive.
>Folks out there who were gonna try this morning's kernel, you might as well
>wait a bit.

EXPORT_SYMTAB is defined by Rules.make, based on export-objs variables.
One problem with aid is that is only scans certain file types, by
default it does not pick up files with no type so skips Rules.make and
Makefile.

Most of the makefiles are correct, only a few objects are missing.
When you get that error, edit the makefile that compiles the object,
add the object to export-objs and send a patch to Linus.