Re: WAS: Cluster XFS install without CD... MY APOLOGIES

To: Russel Ingram <ringram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: WAS: Cluster XFS install without CD... MY APOLOGIES
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:35:37 +1000
Cc: Mike Sowka <msowka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Mike and Russ,

Just some comments re dump/restore...

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 12:27:36PM -0600, Russel Ingram wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 12:54:02PM -0400, Mike Sowka wrote:
> > Russ Ingram wrote:
> > >
> > Hello Russ,
> > I was hoping to tap into your vast knowledge on XFS... :) I've looked at
> > www.partimage.com and it seems they don't support the bootdisk/rootdisk
> > method (no CD drives on my cluster nodes) on the latest version... I
> > like the principle of KISS (keep it simple stupid), and using partition
> > image when I've got xfsdump seems a bit redundant :).
> > I have a question or two about xfsdump, any sugestion are MUCH appreciated:
> > #1) How is it that xfsdump is able to dump / while it's mounted? And how
> > "industrial-strength" is that?
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.  I don't know the technicalities
> of how it does it but if you're just asking if it can, yes, it can.  If you
> want to know how, someone else will have to step in and answer that.

Yes it only dumps a mounted file system.
It does mean that any files which are changing while the dump is
in progress or just prior to the dump running, may not include
its latest changes.

> > #2) Can you elaborate a bit on your method of piping xfsdump to
> > xfsrestore :)?
>
> The most basic form of xfsdump and its corresponding xfsrestore can be run
> back to back through a pipe to make a copy of a filesystem. Like this:
>
> xfsdump / - | xfsrestore - /mnt/
>
> The above command says run xfsdump on the root filesystem, send the output
> to stdout and pipe it to xfsrestore.  The dash on the xfsrestore command
> says to read stdin as the dump input and /mnt/ is where it is to write to.
>
> I noticed that when I ran it on my / filesytem it didn't do something right
> on the /dev/ dir
If you know what exactly the problem is then we'd be very eager
to fix it.

...ok just saw Ivan's reply to this email, so no need to say anymore...:)
but want to know if there is still a problem with restoring on /dev dir.

--Tim