Re: usr quota setup

To: Vivek Malik <csu98164@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: usr quota setup
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:45:04 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 01:18:23AM +0530, Vivek Malik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using current development tree version of xfs (updated using cvs).
> All the file systems is my Pentium III computer are having xfs filesystem.
> I have mounted a partition /nfs as "exec,nodev,nosuid,rw,usrquota 1 2"

Is this filesystem of type "xfs" or "nfs"?  If it is of type
NFS, then you will need to build your quota tools with the
"configure --enable-rpcsetquota=yes" option in order to allow
remote quota setting for NFS.

> The kernel is having quota support.
> "repquota /nfs" reports quota correctly.
> I am having problems in defining quota consraints.
> I tried using edquota but couldnt succeed.

Can you give more details here?  Do you see an error message
or is the problem that after "edquota"/"setquota" running the
"repquota" command doesn't report the limits?

If it's the second case, then the problem is likely that the
user doesn't have any inodes/blocks allocated, in which case
repquota will skip this user even if he has limits assigned,
by default.

To check if this is the case, touch a file as the user, and
then run repquota again ... "repquota -v" might also provide
this information, even if no blocks are allocated for a user
- I can't remember just off the top of my head.

cheers.

--
Nathan