Re: xfsdump/restore from cd

To: Charles Radeke <charles.radeke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump/restore from cd
From: ivanr@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:03:54 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 ivanr@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 03:42:47PM +0200, Charles Radeke wrote:
> > > I would like to backup a partition of some GB by burning cd's with
> > > splitted xfsdump , each is 650MB. Is it possible to use a cdrom-drive as
> > > a tape (like/dev/rmt)? and if, how to simulate the tape change?
>
> This option might not be as hard as it looks.

I've had a quick look at this, and I think I've got something working (at
least it _seems_ to work on a zip drive here).

If you, or anyone else for that matter, would like to try it out, let me
know and I'll send you a patch.  The code is a very hacky, but I don't
really have the time to clean it up properly at the moment so I wont be
checking it in for a while (if at all).

All I've done is to make the drive_simple strategy think it's writing to
removable media instead of non-removeable media (such as a file or pipe).
To do this properly will mean setting up a new strategy, rearraning some
code in drive_simple.c, and adding a command-line option to manually
select a strategy.

My code will probably break normal drive_simple operations, and may very
well have other bugs... I only did it to see if it could be done in
principle, and to see how much effort it would be.  Still, if you'd like
to try it, let me know.

Ivan

--
Ivan Rayner