Re: ACLs

To: Lawrence Walton <lawrence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ACLs
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:07:14 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 09:10:42AM -0700, Lawrence Walton wrote:
> Hello I have been using XFS on a couple servers;
> And want to start exploring ACL support in Linux and Samba.
> I am using yesterdays CVS build and have installed
>
> these additional packages.
> with the help of dpkg-buildpackage.
> So I think I have my bases covered.

Yes, these all look correct.

> When I go to set a acl with the command line of

Ah, I see you're trusting the man page - alas, it is wrong.
I will get a fixed version into the cvs tree soon.

> setfacl -s u::rw,g::r,o:-,g:staff:rw file

eg. the above is an invalid ACL specification - try instead
something like "u::rw-,g::r--,o:---,g:staff:rw-,m::rwx".

> Samba acls don't seem to work either.....

See the list archive for some discussion on issues with building
the Debian samba package with ACLs enabled (I assume thats what
you're trying to do) - as recently as the last couple of weeks,
IIRC.  Its certainly possible to get it working though.

cheers.

--
Nathan