Re: corruption on 2.4.6 w/ low memory?

To: Sidik Isani <isani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: corruption on 2.4.6 w/ low memory?
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:07:51 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 08:19 2-10-2001 -1000, Sidik Isani wrote:
Hello -

  I'm having a problem with XFS and/or the 2.4.6 kernel.  Since
  2.4.6+XFS is not an official release, I'm guessing the first
  thing would be to use 2.4.5-xfs-1.0.1... unless this is a known
  problem which 2.4.5 might have as well?  In any case, I'd like
  your advice on which version to use, to try and recreate this
  and get more debugging information.  (I know what I've included
  is probably not enough.)

Can you try a CVS kernel?

  The symptoms are files which were written *minutes* ago retain
  the right size, but seem to develop blocks full of zero bytes.
  I think this mostly happens when memory runs very low, but I'm
  not sure.  I'm running an SMP kernel, with no swap space, and I'm
  writing files to "tmpfs" at the same time.  (With the UP kernel,
  I've noticed a different, but possibly related problem when
  memory runs low where bdflush gets stuck taking 100% of the CPU.)

What compiler did you use? Egcs 1.1.2 is the recommended compiler for production use.

  Usually, there are no errors from the kernel while this is
  happening, but eventually I got these:

kernel BUG at ll_rw_blk.c:700!
invalid operand: 0000

  And "free" showed:

Mem:        254120     243684      10436          0      51688     215380
-/+ buffers/cache:     -23384     277504
Swap:            0          0          0

Why run without swap?

Cheers

--
Seth