Re: XFS on laptops

To: kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Keith Owens)
Subject: Re: XFS on laptops
From: Sidik Isani <isani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 07:55:03 -1000 (HST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
<Keith Owens wrote:>
|Can anybody recommend tuning parameters for XFS on laptops?  Since
|converting my laptop to XFS, the disk never spins down so the machine
|never suspends.

Hello Keith -

  Aren't suspend and disk spin-down controlled separately?

  I've been running the following on my laptop with great
  results ever since July 5th:

  o linux-2.4.6-xfs-07052001 - Uni-processor
    I don't remember exactly why I didn't go with 2.4.5-xfs-1.0.1,
    but it may have been that 2.4.6 helped somehow with letting
    the disk spin down.  I may be switching back to 2.4.5 soon so
    I'll find out.
  o /tmp and /var are "tmpfs"
  o /dev is "devfs"
  o / is "xfs" but mounted "noatime,osyncisdsync"
    * mount -o remount,noatime did NOT work with the versions I tried.
    * The standard initrd method (including a /linuxrc) does NOT work
      because of the way Linux treats the special name "/linuxrc".
    * So init must be something other than /linuxrc, and init
      itself must do the mount and use the new pivot_root stuff,
      and exec the real /sbin/init so that init still gets PID 1.
      It's the only thing which worked for getting root mounted
      with the special options.
  o I cat a bunch of things to /dev/null at the end of sysinit,
    including complete files from /lib /usr/lib /usr/X11R6/lib
  o I set spindown time to 90 seconds with hdparm (maybe a bit short)
  o ~/.netscape/history.dat is a symlink to a file in /tmp
    netscape's caches are turned off.
  o I don't run noflushd, but the disk still spins down if
    I'm not doing anything on the machine, or using it as an

  I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but those were the key
  elements to keeping the disk quiet.

Be seeing you,

- Sidik