Re: IRIX 6.5.6m/XFS CVS: Any problems?

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IRIX 6.5.6m/XFS CVS: Any problems?
From: Utz Lehmann <ulehmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:31:21 +0200
Cc: Sean Elble <s_elble@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

Steve Lord [lord@xxxxxxx] wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a Silicon Graphics Indigo2 here with IRIX
> > 6.5.6m installed (love it, BTW), and a Linux server
> > that is about to have the latest CVS version of the
> > XFS kernel installed, along with the kernel-level NFS
> > server.
> >
> > Are there any known problems, or catches, using NFS on
> > IRIX with a Linux 2.4.10 server? I would like to use
> > NFS3, if possible, but I would appreciate any comments
> > any users may have. Thanks, in advance!
> >

> You may want to upgrade to the latest Irix release, there were some
> problems with NFS V3 between Linux and Irix. The Irix implementation
> expected the NFS file handles to be of a specific size, and Linux used
> a different size. I think this is fixed in 6.5.13. This only affected
> V3 NFS I think.
>
> Steve

I had grabed a small patch for the linux nfs server on lkml. It's set the
file handle size on the linux nfs server to a value (older) IRIX Versions
(and HP-UX 10.20) can understand. I have used this patch till 2.4.9. Maybe
it works with 2.4.10 too.
It works for me, but use it at your own risk.

Or use NFS v2.

utz