Re: ext3 + xfs + jfs + reiser

To: Buchan Milne <bgmilne@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ext3 + xfs + jfs + reiser
From: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:00:55 +0100
Cc: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Buchan Milne schrieb:

> Derek Glidden wrote:
>
> >Eric Sandeen wrote:
> >
> >>Dunno about a single patch, but the latest Mandrake has all of those
> >>filesystems co-existing.
> >>

> >On a slight tangent, I was at an expo last week and a SuSE guy was also
> >there.  A brief discussion popped up about journaling filesystems and we
> >determined that XFS was *not* going to be in SuSE 7.3 while Reiser, ext3
> >and JFS were.  His explanation was that XFS was not stable enough but
> >had no more technical information.
> >
> >Can any SuSE guys around here comment more on that?
> >
> No, but this is what Civileme (the highly-respected-in-Mandrake-circles
> QA manager at Mandrakesoft) posted on the Mandrakeforum:
> http://mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=1212&lang=en
>
> It is interesting to see here that:
> 1)Mandrake considers XFS better for general use than ReiserFS, which
> they have shipped with since 7.1
> 2)Mandrake considers JFS (1.0.4) unstable, I am not sure if they
> actually disabled JFS in the installer or not ....

JFS is there. But when I made a crash test with ext2,ext3,reiserfs, JFS
and XFS, JFS was the only one where I was forced to recover by hand. So
it means it is not so well integrated in the Mandrake distro.

> 3)Ext3 is by far the slowest of the 3 Journalling FS's availble, and
> only has one advantage - easy migration from ext2.

Well, I just made my own tests again and its alwas the same: XFS is VERY
good with big files while ext3 is good with lots of small files.

> That said, I am still sitting with the majority of our data on ReiserFS,
> until I have enough spare disk space to migrate to XFS (ACLs would be
> really convenient right now ....)

My future systems will most likely have mixed ext3 and XFS. Maybe only
/home will be on XFS. This way its easy to upgrade with original RedHat
installer and still keeping most data on XFS.