Re: ext3 + xfs + jfs + reiser

To: Hristo Grigorov <Hristo.Grigorov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ext3 + xfs + jfs + reiser
From: Justin Coffey <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:56:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On Monday 22 October 2001 20:43, Derek Glidden wrote:
> > Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > > Dunno about a single patch, but the latest Mandrake has all of those
> > > filesystems co-existing.
> >
> > On a slight tangent, I was at an expo last week and a SuSE guy was also
> > there.  A brief discussion popped up about journaling filesystems and we
> > determined that XFS was *not* going to be in SuSE 7.3 while Reiser, ext3
> > and JFS were.  His explanation was that XFS was not stable enough but
> > had no more technical information.
> >
> > Can any SuSE guys around here comment more on that?
> >
> > (My suspicions are really less that it's unstable and more that it
> > touches pretty deeply into the rest of the VFS layer that made them
> > unhappy and not want to use it for whatever reason.  Some of the same
> > stuff I've seen Alan Cox mention here.)
> >

> Weird... Both SuSe and RedHat pretend to aim enterprise market and at the
> same time they don't want to support _real_ enterprise filesystems like XFS
> and JFS. I would bet that most mission critical servers out there run either
> JFS or XFS as they are long-time tested, well documented and has some
> kind of official support. The only idea that comes to my mind is that they
> don't like the idea that commercial companies controls the sources for those
> FS even that they are opened to the public community. Not-stable is obviously
> not the reason here... Kudos for Mandrake anyway! :)

I'm not sure I agree.  We tested smallish sized hardware raids with XFS
(albeit about 3 months ago) and had a devil of a time trying to get it
work correctly.  Generally, we just ran into the OS not being able to
mount the array, seizing and having to perform a hard reboot.  Now, I'm
all about fiddling and getting things to work, but for production, mission
critical data?  No thank you.  ReiserFS has worked flawlessly for us in
XFS's stead.

Now, I'm trying to start a flame, and I'm not bashing XFS in anyway, this
was just my last experience with it.

Justin Coffey                                          coffeyj@xxxxxxxxx
Technical Advisor                                   http://www.homes.com