Re: Directory File Size [Slightly OT]

Subject: Re: Directory File Size [Slightly OT]
From: Federico Sevilla III <jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 05:47:22 +0800 (PHT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 at 17:36, Sarwer Zafiruddin wrote:
> I appologize for the slightly OT nature of the e-mail.  But I figure
> this is a good place to ask, since there is alot of filesystems
> experts in this list.

And I think I can help make this more on-topic by asking:

> hotdog_$ ls -ld gas_mech_assy
> drwxrwxrwt   5 sarwer    dba        10493952 Oct 15 17:26 loaded_pkgs
>                                     ^^^^^^^^
>                                     What is makes this number get bigger?

Why does the size of this number vary not only with the directory, but
with the filesystem as well?

In particular on XFS, what dictates the size of a directory? It doesn't
seem to be directly correlated with the total size of the contents. I did
some tests and it looks like it has something to do with the length of the
filenames in it, and perhaps the name of the directory itself. Is this it?

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.