Re: questions about http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/irix-linux.html

To: pac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: questions about http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/irix-linux.html
From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:39:28 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
pac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Question: if the max filesystem is 2T, what is the point of
> discussing a 16T file offset? What did i miss?

Linux[/x86] and well as the PC BIOS' "absolute CHS addressing"
(which affects any add-on cards as well, like SCSI) have limits at
the 2TB barrier.

XFS' original platform, MIPS/Irix does not have this limitation.

[ Correct me if I'm wrong on this though ]

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx   chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org