Re: Total FS corruption - More info

To: Nigel Kukard <nkukard@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Total FS corruption - More info
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 22:08:06 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Last time I saw this, it was on a >1TB filesystem, and the inode numbers
had exceeded 32 bits (bad thing...) - mkfs.xfs has since changed to try
to avoid this by choosing bigger inode sizes on large filesystems, which
limits inode numbers (note: explanation of tricky XFS internals deleted)
.  This should only matter, though, on ~>1TB filesystems.

If you can send the output of mkfs.xfs (or xfs_info on a mounted
filesystem), I can make sure the automatic inode sizing hasn't gone awry
on your 19G filesystem....

And I'll stress again that moving back to pre-2.4.10 would also be a big
help in figuring out where the problem is. My confidence in 2.4.11/12 is
not so great, there's just been no exposure yet.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.