Re: XFS (v.1.0.1 for RedHat 7.1) and XFS (Irix 6.5.13m) differ?

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS (v.1.0.1 for RedHat 7.1) and XFS (Irix 6.5.13m) differ?
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:27:52 +0200
Cc: Sebastian Kun <seb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, shyberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:35:41AM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> GFS is one filesystem which is capable of this - it is a complete filesystem,
> not a layer which sits on top of another filesystem. It does cache coherency
> by locking regions of the disk using a semaphore device (can be a software
> device). GFS was initially developed on Irix, but I am pretty sure the latest
> stuff is linux only - they also just removed it from under the GPL.

We, the OpenGFS group (http://www.opengfs.org) are working on OpenGFS which is
a free fork of GFS.  Currently we are working on OpenGFS 0.1 which is GFS 4.1
minus the truckload of bugs Sistina has in it's code base.

After that OpenGFS will diverged more, but trying to stay ondisk and - if
possible - protocol compatible to GFS 4.x

        Christoph