Re: .deb kernel packages

To: "Nathan Scott" <nathans@xxxxxxx>, "Russ Ingram" <ringram@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: .deb kernel packages
From: "Ed Boraas" <ed@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:08:37 -0600
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:48:28AM -0600, Russ Ingram wrote:
> > I was just wondering how many people on this list are running
> > debian and would be interested in having .deb kernel packages.  I
> > just learned how to make kernel packages on debian and would be
> > willing to provide them if there is enough interest.
> >

> There are patches in the archive already - the only complaint I've
> seen of these is that they are not frequently updated (but thats
> because we don't make point releases as frequently as some people
> would like).

[snip]

Just as a note, I've added the development patches (for Linux 2.4.6 -
2.4.10) to the package. After today's dinstall run, they'll be in sid.

I'm hoping this is the right move... Some people have complained about lack
of updates, and I can't say I totally blame them.

In the near future, I may drop the patches for the older kernels, if I get
positive feedback on the development patches. This would have the added
benefit of deprecating the kernel-patch-xfs-core patch package, assuming
1.0.1++ won't be using the two-patch model.

-Ed (Debian XFS patch package guy)