Re: .deb kernel packages

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: .deb kernel packages
From: Russel Ingram <ringram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:28:32 +0000
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Nathan Scott wrote:

> hi,
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:48:28AM -0600, Russ Ingram wrote:
> > I was just wondering how many people on this list are running
> > debian and would be interested in having .deb kernel packages.  I
> > just learned how to make kernel packages on debian and would be
> > willing to provide them if there is enough interest.
> >
> There are patches in the archive already - the only complaint I've
> seen of these is that they are not frequently updated (but thats
> because we don't make point releases as frequently as some people
> would like).
> # apt-cache search patch-xfs
> kernel-patch-xfs - XFS Filesystem support for Linux 2.4.5
> kernel-patch-xfs-core - Necessary kernel infrastructure to support XFS
> As you likely already know, all the user tools can also be retrieved
> from the archive.

I know there are patches there already but they are for 2.4.5.  The XFS
group makes patches every time there is a major kernel release, though.
Besides, it's way easier(not to mention faster) to just install a
kernel-image package than to go through the entire process of installing
the kernel-patch-xfs* packages then having to download the 2.4.5 source
tarball from kernel.org (the kernel-source-2.4.5 package isn't available
in woody anymore), apply the patches, configure, make and install the
new kernel yourself or run make-kpkg and still have to install the
resulting kernel-image package.  I'm already doing most of that process
for myself anyway so it might as well be made available to other
interested debian users.

On another note:

I do have the 2.4.10 kernel-image packages for XFS available for download
for anyone who's interested in giving them a try.  A word of warning -- I
have not even tried these myself yet so make sure you have a backup kernel
option to boot into before you reboot into the new kernel.

Finally, in reply to Alan Eldridge's message earlier: Alan, if you would
like to put your rpms on monsterzero with my debs, let me know.  I'll set
you up with a way to upload them.

Russel H. Ingram
Gargoyle Computer Consulting
(307)742-1361 or (307)760-1317