Re: 2.4.10-pre12 / gcc3

To: Joseph Fannin <jhf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.4.10-pre12 / gcc3
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:11:24 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

>     Are the (wonderful) linux-xfs developers waiting a bit to merge CVS up to
>
> -pre11 / pre12 because of the large-scale VM changes, or has the work
> necessary for that merge just not been completed yet (perhaps because those
> same changes make it difficult)?  I'll admit it; I'm eager to try the new VM
> stuff but I have an XFS / on my 'devel' box.

I wish Linus would admit that he is working on 2.5 - this is not exactly
a minor change to be making right now. I managed to get a pre11 kernel up
yesterday, and it was VERY easy to get processes killed by the oom
handler. pre12 merge is underway right now. I suspect it will take a
while to get this one sorted out - since major surgery in the VM does
have an affect on XFS.

>      On a second note, are the xfs developers prepared to look at kernel
> oopsen, etc. from kernels built with gcc3?  RedHat 7.2 *cough*fairfax*cough*
> will almost certainly include it, though it won't be the default compiler.  I
>
> may send one tonight, though it'll probably be a build failure rather than a
> bug.

Well, it all depends on how good the oops report is - and almost certainly
we would need more details - such as a disassembly of the complete function
which the oops happened in, oh and possibly you machine too ;-)

Steve