Re: xfsdump with rmt

To: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump with rmt
From: ivanr@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:31:44 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 01:37:26AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > another question, why is xfsdump trying to call `rsh hostname uname' ?
> >
> > AFAICT from a brief look at the code it checks whether the remote host
> > is either IRIX or Linux and if niether it warns and continues anyway?
> > whats the point?

Linux's MT commands are sufficiently different from IRIX (and other
UNIXes) that we need to know what OS is running on the remote machine, and
how we are to translate commands and responses.  If xfsdump can't work out
what the remote machine is, it'll continue in the hope that it's talking
to a compatible system.

> ok looking further i found where this is used in rmtioctl.c.  i just
> worked around it by creating an rsh wrapper that echos `Linux' when
> its given the uname command.
>
> that code probably should not hard code rsh though, it should use $RSH
> if its set.

You're right of course.  One of us will fix it tomorrow.

Ivan

--
Ivan Rayner
ivanr@xxxxxxx