Re: Quotas on XFS

To: "Michels, Gustavo [EES/BR]" <gustavo.michels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Quotas on XFS
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:37:54 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 12:23:20AM +0100, Michels, Gustavo [EES/BR] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if my problem has been addressed before, but I really can't find
> anything related in the archives.
>
> My setup: Red Hat Linux 7.1. I got the 2.4.9 kernel from kernel.org, applied
> the XFS patch and it is currently working. Then I created a XFS filesystem
> under /xfs/emerson (mkfs -t xfs -l size=32768b -f /dev/sda6). The root
> filesystem is ext2.
>
> In /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/sda6     /xfs/emerson    xfs     rw,usrquota,logbufs=8,logbsize=32768
> 0 0

Your setup looks correct.

> Here is what happens when I try to set quotas for an user (testuser):
>
> [root@splus001 /]# mount
> /dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/sda6 on /xfs/emerson type xfs (rw,usrquota,logbufs=8,logbsize=32768)
> [root@splus001 /]# setquota testuser 600 800 15 20 /xfs/emerson
> [root@splus001 /]# repquota /xfs/emerson
> *** Report for user quotas on device /dev/sda6
> Block grace time: 7days; Inode grace time: 7days
>                         Block limits                File limits
> User            used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace
> root      --       0       0       0              3     0     0
>
> [root@splus001 /]#

Does user "testuser" have any files or blocks allocated?
what does the "quota testuser" command say at this point?

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if repquota will
report anything if no space/inodes are used by a user.
If you "su testuser" and "touch foo" on the filesystem,
repquota should show something for testuser.

If so, I can see the justification for this (filesystems
with many thousands of users) - I just have not looked at
this code for awhile, so canna remember if thats it.

cheers.

--
Nathan