Re: RH 7.1 & XFS 1.0.1 on SGI 1200 (AIC7xxx hang)

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RH 7.1 & XFS 1.0.1 on SGI 1200 (AIC7xxx hang)
From: Tony Clark <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:07:09 +0930
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
on 13/9/01 2:56 PM, Seth Mos at knuffie@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 14:25 13-9-2001 +0930, Tony Clark wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've seen mention of this a number of times on the list, but haven't managed
>> to dig up a solution.  Please excuse my repetition of the issue.
>>
>> I have a stack of SGI 1200's with 2 x P3 cpus.  I can successfully use the
>> XFS 1.0 install disk, but the 1.0.1 disk hangs at the AIC7xxx point.
>
> IIRC you should use the update disk that is available on the ftp site.

I tried, but it never gets to the point where it loads the update disk, and
hangs at the point of loading the aic7xxx driver.

>> Is there actually a way to make it move past this point using options in
>> lilo, or should I abandon ship and use the 1.0 installer.
>
> Hmm, it might be related the noapic option although I don't remember the
> exact syntax.
> Head on over to the FAQ or the mailinglist page, there is a link to a
> searchable mail archive there.
>
> I think searching for this type of machine in the list will turn op some
> results.

Hmmm...  This was posted:

On 18 Jul 2001 15:46:48 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:

> When using my boot disk, you have to use the "apic" option, not the "noapic"
> option.

but with no mention of how to use this option.  I'll try a little more and
see if anything can be made to happen.  If anyone who knows how to make this
go away, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,

Tony