lock files after crash

To: "XFS: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: lock files after crash
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 01:00:27 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I have an SMP system set to boot to X11/runlevel 5 that is RH 7.1 based
(root is XFS). I had a crash at the moment I attempted to start login as
a regular user (home is also XFS). It seems that ~/.ICEauthority is
written each session when gdm/gnome is used for the login session, and
that a check is done for whether or not .ICEauthority can be locked.
After a crash, the file is empty (this is ok, it's the metadata versus
full journal thing, it isn't an issue), since the crash occurs during
that file write. However, after coming back up, X11 will fail due to an
inability to lock the file. A question occurs here, whether lock data or
whatever information is used to determine if a file can be locked, is
part of the filesystem journaling? Or is this a separate issue that
can't be dealth with by journaling filesystems? Is there any way XFS,
coming back after a crash, can remove stale locks or bogus locks? I have
no idea if this is entirely just coincidence it occurs, or if XFS itself
can help recover under such circumstances.

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx