Re: xfsdump question

To: Matteo Centonza <matteo@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump question
From: ivanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ivan Rayner)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:02:15 +1000
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Matteo Centonza wrote:

> | xfsdump: creating dump session media file 0 (media 0, file 0)
> | xfsdump: dumping ino map
> | xfsdump: dumping directories
> | xfsdump: dumping non-directory files
> | xfsdump: WARNING: could not open regular file ino 17048187 mode
> 0x000081a4: No such file or directory: not dumped
> | xfsdump: WARNING: could not open regular file ino 17048190 mode
> 0x000081a4: No such file or directory: not dumped
> | xfsdump: WARNING: could not open regular file ino 17109993 mode
> 0x000081a4: No such file or directory: not dumped
> | xfsdump: ending media file
> | xfsdump: media file size 6217415200 bytes
> | xfsdump: dump size (non-dir files) : 6188187768 bytes
> | xfsdump: dump complete: 1135 seconds elapsed
> getting rid of quota informations which probably has a path problem,
> the strange thing is that xfsdump doesn't dump three files that i'm
> able to pick up with find:
>
> xxxxx:/home# find /home -inum 17048187
> /xxxx/xxxxxx/.gnome/panel.d/default/Applet_7_Extern
>
> and so the remaining two. The same three files were mentioned in the last
> week backup as not dumped too.
> This filesystem is on a LVM'ed soft RAID5 array with quota enabled, using
> CVS copy as of 2001-07-24 (kernel 2.4.7, xfsdump 1.1.2-0).

We've had another look at this, and I'd like you to try something else.
In the xfstests rpm, there's a program called bstat.  It's job is to
bulkstat the filesystem and for every directory and file, it compares the
stat info with the info from bulkstat.

(Bulkstat is an XFS specific system call which will return blocks of inode
stat information, which is much faster than stat'ing every file.)

The bstat program will also try to open each file in the same way that
xfsdump does (using jdm_open, which is a method of opening a file using
only the inode number, rather than a pathname).

Run bstat like so (assuming /home is an xfs filesystem):

  # ./bstat -c /home/[some_file_in_the_filesystem] > bstat.log

bstat will output a tonne of info, so be sure to redirect it to a log
file.  When it's done, take a look to see if you can find any failures in
the log (look for "unable").  This info could be interesting.

Ivan

--
Ivan Rayner
ivanr@xxxxxxx