Re: System lock while accessing files causes file corruption

To: utz lehmann <xfs@xxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: System lock while accessing files causes file corruption
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 19:33:49 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 17:57 4-9-2001 +0200, utz lehmann wrote:
Hi Eric

Eric Sandeen [sandeen@xxxxxxx] wrote:
> But in any case, it occurred to me that you could make /etc on it's own
> partition, and mount that O_SYNC - I don't think that would be too much
> overhead, /etc doesn't get written that much on a normal system (?).  If
> Oracle puts config files elsewhere, you could simlink them onto this
> filesystem.

You can't make /etc on a different partition than /.
/etc, /sbin, /dev (without devfs) must on the / partition otherwise your
system will not boot.

If you use a decent layout fopr your data it does not matter.
If you have a separate /usr /var /tmp /home like most servers do you could just mount your / fs O_SYNC since it would only have a _very_ slight performance loss since you almost never write to the root fs. :-)

Cheers

--
Seth
I use the last kind.