about to try RAID....

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: about to try RAID....
From: "P.Dixon" <P.Dixon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 15:32:33 +0100 (BST)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

We're about to try xfs and software raid. We've done this in the past
using 3x Promise Ultra ATA 100TX2 controllers. However, I've seen on this
list a few bad comments about Promise, so I was wondering if there are any
alternatives that people think would be a better option.

This is what we plan to do:

Using a standard motherboad/CPU in a large tower case, we want to use 8x
IBM 61.5 GB hard disks in a software RAID 5 configuration (using XFS of
course).

Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheerio,
                                        Paul

Paul Dixon                           Email: P.Dixon@xxxxxxxxx
Department of Physics                Phone: (020) 7882 5054
Queen Mary, University of London     Fax  : (020) 7882 5054
Mile End Road, London E1 4NS         URL  : http://hepwww.ph.qmw.ac.uk/~pd