Re: XFS, Quotas and Samba

To: "Giddings, Bret" <bret@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS, Quotas and Samba
From: Matthew Geier <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 12:34:23 +1000
Cc: "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Giddings, Bret" wrote:

> I have downloaded the source rpm for samba and it appears that RedHat build
> their smbd to support quotas. I have also checked whether
> /usr/include/sys/quota.h is modified by installing your updated quota rpm
> (quota-3.01pre8) and it isn't. So, is there another reason why quotas don't
> appear to work with xfs/samba?

 yes. XFS quotas work differently from other Linux file system Quotas.
I've hacked a 2.2.1a quota.c to support XFS quotas and it seems to work
for me. It was a QOD patch though, it basicly replaced parts of the
Linux quota code with bits taken out of the SGI quota section, thus ext2
quotas would be broken. I think I posted a diff to samba'a quota.c here
a while back.

 If you are interested I could email you my quota.c.

--
Matthew Geier                   matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Arts IT Unit                    +61 2 9351 4713