Re: gcc-2.96-nn status

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gcc-2.96-nn status
From: jfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:44:27 +0200
Cc: alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Seth Mos a écrit :

> At 21:26 18-9-2001 +0200, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> >Seth Mos a écrit :

> > > It was a CVS snapshot.
> > >

> >It was a CVS snapshot some 18 months ago.  Eighteen months of bug hunting
> >later you can tell nothing about its stability.  In fact because Gcc 2.96 was
> >frozen
> >over a year before gcc 3.0  and has been far more dceployed I trust it far m
> >ore than gcc 3.0+
>
> True, but I gather 3.0+ will pop up in a lot more distributions then just
> redhat and mandrake.
> 3.0 is a official release which means it is not distribution specific. The
> reason that mandrake adopted is was more or less because a lot of mandrake
> is still redhat based. (no flame intended)

I don't care which one is official what I care is which one crashes o
and which one miscompiles less often
For now gcc 3.0 is unproven and at least gcc 3.0 (don't know about gcc
3.0.1)
has some horrific bugs far worse than those gcc 2.96 had in september
2000.

Also RedHat and Mandrake have far more users than all the remaining
distributions
combined.  Both RedHat ad Mandrake are poised to ship gcc 3 but gcc 2.96
will be
the default compiler.

Mandrake is no longer a clone of RedHat.  Factors were gcc 2.96 superior
C++
respective to gcc 2.95, faster executables (benchmarked) and perhaps
support of
Itanium.

> The gcc people are working hard on getting 3.0 stable. Most kernel
> developers I met only work with official compilers. Not with wat shipped
> with their distro.

Kernel developers only accepted gcc 2.95 much later than it becvame
official.
First official label does not confer magically bug free status and
second because
kernel is very specific and requires specific testing of the compiler.

--
                Jean Francois Martinez

The Independence project: because Linux should be for everyone
http://independence.seul.org