Re: Mandrake Linux 8.1 beta without XFS

To: David Lloyd <lloy0076@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mandrake Linux 8.1 beta without XFS
From: jfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:18:05 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
David Lloyd a écrit :

> Hmmm...
>
> > The biggest problem is Grub since Grub cannot boot from an XFS partition
> > and I really think Lilo is obsolete and should be dropped ASAP.
> > Any news from the person who is trying to do an XFS back end for Grub?
>
> Last time I looked at Grub and the latest version(s) of Lilo, the only
> difference I could see was that Grub's configuration looked like NT
> Loader's. So, why is Grub superior?
>
> DSL

I don't know NT loader, but Grub understands filesystems.  That means if
you
override your kernel or initrd you don'ty need to do anything special.
You
can hunt for a kernel who is not in the list.  Grub alos allows to VIEW
what will be
your boot options, edit them with a reasonably user friendly interface,
if it
will fall back if it doesn't find a kernel or even the second part of
GRUB.
And Grub really supports international keyboards (LILO's support is a
joke).
After using Grub LILO feels like driving a Model T  Ford.

--
                Jean Francois Martinez

The Independence project: because Linux should be for everyone
http://independence.seul.org