Re: Mandrake Linux 8.1 beta without XFS

To: David Lloyd <lloy0076@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mandrake Linux 8.1 beta without XFS
From: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 07:52:48 +0200
Cc: jfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
David Lloyd schrieb:

> Hmmm...
>
> > The biggest problem is Grub since Grub cannot boot from an XFS partition
> > and I really think Lilo is obsolete and should be dropped ASAP.
> > Any news from the person who is trying to do an XFS back end for Grub?

I don't think this is a problem. Lilo was always there in the Mandrake
distribution and can be used to boot XFS. If you really need grub just
put /boot on ext2. BTW does grub boot JFS?

> Last time I looked at Grub and the latest version(s) of Lilo, the only
> difference I could see was that Grub's configuration looked like NT
> Loader's. So, why is Grub superior?

I'm not an expert on this but one significant difference is that grub
does understand filesystems. This is very nice since you can boot every
kernel without having to call lilo after changing anything. It's work a
bit like the loaders of the *BSD's.

-Simon