Re: Diskless

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Diskless
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:52:36 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Jeffrey K Butkovich <jkbutkovich@xxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
> > I'm not well versed in net booting, but I thought it
> > just NFS mounted a remote filesystem to get it's kernel?
>
> Uh... ok turn brain on, Eric.  How do you NFS mount something w/o a
> kernel?  :)

Thinclient:

System boots up.
Sends out a bootp request for the filename and tftp server.
Fetches kernel image and tries to put it in the temporary ram or main ram
(too large? stops here)
Kernel boots and NFS mounts it's root fs.

Standard kernel that is in the system (SGI XFS 1.0.1 kernel) is fully
compiled and probably copied to the tftpboot dir. After fetching the
kernel the thin client might give up because the kernel doens't fit in the
temporary ram.

Solution: Recompile kernel without XFS and other FS crap you don't need
on a thinclient.

Bootfloppy method:

Copy kernel to mount root NFS to boot floppy with initrd and scripts with
neccesary information to mount NFS server. (too large? stops here)

Boot floppy/kernel mount root NFS filesystem and continue startup via NFS
mounted root.

Networkcard EEPROM boot:

Boot from Boot prom on networkcard, send bootprequest to server and fetch
kernel. (too large? stopping here)
Boot kernel and mount root NFS filesystem.

Bootfloppy method:
Copy SGI XFS 1.0.1 kernel to floppy, doesn't fit complete with initrd for
NFS mounting root. (stops right here during creation of boot floppy)

Solution: Recompile kernel without XFS and other stuff you don't need or
make it a module. and build your initrd.

Can't think of any other methods.
I have never did this before but I did fumble with a NCD thinclient
before.

Cheers
Seth