Re: Diskless

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Diskless
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Aug 2001 15:39:39 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

ES> I'm not well versed in net booting, but I thought it just NFS mounted a
ES> remote filesystem to get it's kernel?

I guess you could write an NFS implementation and stick it in ROM, but that
would be the hard way.  Most netboot clients I've seen use TFTP to pull
down the kernel and initrd.

I use PXE compliant Ethernet cards, which do DHCP to get an IP address and
boot server, then use TFTP to pull down pxelinux.  pxelinux is just
syslinux made to work over the network.  It then uses TFTP to pull down a
vmlinuz and initrd.img, and from that point it's as if everything was
loaded off of brown and round.

 - J<