Re: XFS installer

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS installer
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:42:11 +1000
Cc: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, Brandon Barker <bebarker@xxxxxxxxxx>, linux-mips@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 01:19:54PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 07:38:15AM +0200, Seth Mos wrote:
>
> > > of XFS on disk has somewhen been changed; the Linux version only supports
> > > v2 while IRIX 6.2 is rather old so I think only supports v1.  Thus both
> > > flavours are incompatible.
> >
> > True, linux suports only v2. I don't know if Irix 6.2 supports the v2
> > mode. Another thing to watch out for is that the blocksize must equal
> > pagesize to be able to als mount it under linux.
>
> Urg.  MIPS also supports various page sizes and so this will limit the
> use of XFS for file exchange.  Is this planned to be fixed?

Yes, for the filesystem blocksize < pagesize case anyway - slated
for Linux/XFS 1.1.  On IRIX mkfs defaults to a 4K blocksize, which
is fortunate I guess.

IRIX/XFS supports 512byte through to 64K blocksizes, so having
variable page sizes on Linux/MIPS actually makes sharing easier
on MIPS than on many other architectures.

cheers.

--
Nathan