Re: non-standard errno: -990

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: non-standard errno: -990
From: Andrew Klaassen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:00:00 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 10:37:13PM +0200,
Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:09:48PM -0400,
> Andrew Klaassen wrote:

> > I'm getting errors like this with a 2.4.7 XFS patched kernel:
> >
> >   kernel: nfsd: non-standard errno: -990
> >
> > This isn't something I'd worry about normally, but just a few
> > minutes ago a programmer told me that he got a "990" error when
> > trying to create a directory on the same XFS filesystem - and it
> > *wasn't* over nfs.  I haven't been able to find any info via
> > google.

> -990 is EFSCORRUPTED which XFS generates when it sees an nasty
> error internally. You should probably have an error message
> somewhere earlier in the logs.

One of these, maybe?

  kernel: XFS: bad magic number
  kernel: XFS: SB validate failed

They showed up just after the filesystem was mounted.  I can't
spot anything else that seems to be relevant.

The filesystem is still up and running, BTW, and doesn't seem to
be adversely affected.  The error has only occured twice, both
times today.  It's running on top of RAID 5, if that's of
interest.

Any suggested course of action?  This is, unfortunately, a
woefully undertested production drive...

Andrew Klaassen