Re: corrupt inode

Subject: Re: corrupt inode
From: Federico Sevilla III <jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 16:28:39 +0800 (PHT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 at 10:08, Simon Matter wrote:
> It's not easy to say something useful here but maybe this: don't panic
> now! It's my experience that in critical situations it's VERY
> important not to get nervous an mess things up.

Thank you for that slap in the face. I did my best not to panic. If I had
let myself to get fully enmeshed in panic, I wouldn't have remembered to
find a way to grab xfs_repair's output. ;>

> I'm just wondering whether your filesystem corruption is related to
> the disk crash.

Yes. Seth sent a pretty interesting post by Dan Yocum about his tests on
the 3ware controllers. When I read Seth's "reminder" message, I remember
reading Dan's e-mail.

It looks like the 3ware 6000 series with RAID5 will cause data corruption
when a drive goes offline while a write is being performed. Dan hasn't
noticed this in the 7000 series. Hopefully 3ware will replace my 6400
controller with the 7410. I don't know what they'll say about this,
though. I'm still waiting for a response from them (all my diagnostic
messages had them cc'd).

I don't know if this is limited to XFS, though.

> If yes, it means the 3ware controller did not do his job. So if it's
> like that I would not trust it anymore and I suggest NOT to replace
> the broken disk immediately. If you replace the disk and the 3ware
> doesn't start up correctly, you may loose all data.

I've had this drive go offline before. The controller flags a drive
offline when it hits a bad sector. Rebuilding the array attempts to reuse
the drive, hoping that this bad sector has been remapped by the drive. It
looks like my IBM drive has reached its limit. I wanted to make sure it
wasn't the 3ware controller or the cable, so I switched two drives around.
The same drive that failed before on Port 2 failed now on Port 3. It's the
drive. Subsequent rebuilds (i've tried a number of times) have failed even
before the rebuild was done.

When I get a replacement I'll run IBM's disk check on this just to see.

> I think your unmounting problem may be related to knfsd. I have a
> server running samba and knfsd for several HP/UX, Solaris, Linux and
> Windows clients and on this machine I have never been able to unmount
> /home.

Ahh yes. I forgot to stop the nfs-kernel-server daemon. I'll try that
later this afternoon (when everyone's out). :)

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.