mounts sometimes take forever

To: "Linux XFS (E-mail)" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: mounts sometimes take forever
From: "Christian, Chip" <chip.christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:06:34 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Has anyone seen "mount -f xfs /dev/blah /blah" take an extremely long time ,
possibly an eternity, to complete?

We're running 2.4.3-SGI_XFS_1.0.1 #1 SMP, i686, RedHat Linux 7.1 on a pair of
servers, in an HA fashion.

When node #1 notes that node #2 isn't responding, he mounts all of node #2's
filesystems.  What we have seen happen exactly twice now (out of many, many
more successful mounts) is that a mount of one of the filesystems takes a long
time, long enough that the user gave up and rebooted.  In one instance, the
mount command ate 25 minutes of cpu in 30 minutes before we aborted.  mount was
in state RN.

Is there anything anyone can think of I might try to diagnose this if it
happens again?  strace and ltrace are useless; we're sitting inside mount().
Anything else I can use to see what's going on?

Could it be a timing thing, where node #2 is coming down and is in the process
of umounting the filesystem while node #1 starts to mount the same filesystem?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

        -Chip