Re: Insecure world writable files from XFS 1.0.1 ISO installer

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Insecure world writable files from XFS 1.0.1 ISO installer
From: "Martin K. Petersen" <mkp@xxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Aug 2001 11:42:02 -0400
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

>> Eric, which kernel is running when the installer is doing it's
>> stuff, it is possible there is something about this kernel. In the
>> meantime, I am not sure we should leave the 1.0.1 iso images up on
>> the web site but recommend people use the 1.0 and then do a kernel
>> upgrade. This means the installer fixes get lost, but it may be the
>> most prudent path here.

Eric> The Red Hat 2.4.3 + XFS kernel is running at install time, so I
Eric> guess that's where this problem comes from.

The Alpha installer uses the RedHat Alpha 2.4.3 RPM + XFS patches but
doesn't suffer from the problem.

Do you have the anaconda-7.1-umask patch in the IA32 installer?

--
Martin K. Petersen      Cereal Bowl Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/         SGI XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME