Re: productionserver

To: Thomas Kirk <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: productionserver
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:10:50 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 16:45 23-8-2001 +0200, you wrote:
Hey there listmembers

Im looking into building a streaming media storage server in a
production enviroment. The server has to be available 24/7 preferable
;-). We are using debian as our prefered OS and as such im gonna us
this to build the storage server. The diskarray are gonna be shared
via CIFS and optional NFS and now the question is what fs would i
choose for this system. Ive been lurkeing around on the listarchives
for a while and reading almost all the mails regarding XFS. The
question is : Is XFS in its current state ready for production
enviroments and yes i read the FAQ but it would be nice with some real
world experince from other "sysadmins". I would be very gratefull for
any help this list could come up with.

XFS is nice for larger file sizes and also seems to do reasonably well when using large databases.

I am currently testing Progress 9 Databases (6GB of them) on a Dell Optiplex machine which now already is outperforming our production server which has twice the processor power and a scsi Raid array.

Server:                 Workstation:
Dual PII 400                    PIII 450
512MB ram                       256MB ram
50GB raid5 7200RPM scsi 40GB 7200RPM IDE
NCR MP-RAS SVR4 Veritas FS      RedHat 7.1 with XFS

A new real server machine will be forthcoming soon which will make a decent server vs server comparison. Between a NCR Unix variant with Veritas FS and a RedHat 7.1 look-a-like with XFS.

My manager is impressed :-)

Cheers
--
Seth