Re: Problems with mkfs.xfs

To: Detlef Vollmann <dv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problems with mkfs.xfs
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 08:40:13 -0500
Cc: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>, XFS list <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

> > > Real problem: size itself
> > > I tried to create an xfs filesystem on a 4MB ramdisk (/dev/ram0),
> > > but I found no combination of option that succeeded.
> > > Did I not try hard enouh or is the lower limit for xfs size
> > > larger than 4MB?
> > >

> > Yes - the minimum is 16MB, if I remember correctly (ie. the
> > minimum size of one allocation group).
> Ahh, that's serious.  I'll have to find a workaround for that :-{

I sent my previous message and realized another workaround, if you want
to experiment with xfs like this, then you can use a loop device on top
of a file in an existing filesystem. Performance is pretty good, there is
absolutely no guarantee of recovery after a crash, if you do not
unmount cleanly it will not recover.

Steve