Re: Where is ACL information stored with XFS?

To: Matthew Geier <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Where is ACL information stored with XFS?
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:32:36 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 21:32 29-7-2001 +1000, Matthew Geier wrote:
Seth Mos wrote:

> >If I back up my filesystem onto tape using regular backup
> >software (veritas,tivoli, arkeia etc etc)
> >will the ACL information be restored when i restore the files from tape?
>
> probably not. Amanda can be made to work with xfsdump.
> Some of them are actually working on supporting it natively.

 We use Legato networker. I assume Networker 6 will not backup XFS
extended attributes as until now Linux hasn't really had them.

It is also a work in progress for acls on ext2. They also use extended attributes.

 However IRIX is a supported OS for Networker. What I need is for some
one at SGI to lean on networker to port the XFS bits of the IRIX client
to Linux, I can then get the update through our usual software maintence
channels...

The source is out there and they know the on-disk format, which is a 100% mirror of the Irix disk spec.

 I assume under Irix , networker backs up the EAs.

Better ask them then to assume.

Cheers

--
Seth