Re: nfs/local performance with software raid5 and xfs and SMP

To: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: nfs/local performance with software raid5 and xfs and SMP
From: Tru Huynh <tru@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:55:25 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Thanks you for all your sugestions.

If I try to summarise the issues raised:

1) 3ware driver 3w-xxxx is not(?) SMP aware?
- current firmware
- current 3w-xxxx drivers:
  2.4.3-xfs-1.0.1
  2.4.5-xfs-1.0.1
  I guess the SMP kernel come with SMP aware driver :)

2) 3com cards not working properly (3c59x driver)
  packet losts, bonnie on nfs (too many interrupts?)

- not errors reported on either cards and switch
(no collisions, dropped. overruns/carriers on
- ok for bonnie, will post the results ASAP.
  Do I need to run all 4 combinations UP/SMP 2.4.3/2.4.5?

3) testing kernel >= 2.4.7pre5
- will do after getting today's cvs update

4) try SMP+raid5 on local IDE HD to rule out 3ware issue
- I just have a single HD on the primary IDE controller
  I can only repartion it by destroying the scratch partition.
  Will 3 logical partitions be ok for a minimal raid5 device?

5) change the chunk-size from 64 to 256/512.
- I guess that is fine tuning :)

I found the file server down this morning with
a kernel panic and the following error on the console:
Kernel panic scsi_free: Trying to free unused memory in Interrupt
handler - not
syncing

I left the server rsincing 4 other clients. All rsincs
finished properly. The kernel panic must have happen
after while the server was mostly iddle!
Kernel was 2.4.5-xfs-1.0.1 UP since SMP was not usable.

Best regards,

Tru Huynh
--
Dr Tru Huynh          | Bioinformatique Structurale
mailto:tru@xxxxxxxxxx | tel/fax +33 1 45 68 87 37/19