xfs lockup on 2.4.6-SMP kernel with 1.1TB filesystem

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: xfs lockup on 2.4.6-SMP kernel with 1.1TB filesystem
From: Jani Jaakkola <jjaakkol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:30:53 +0300 (EEST)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
OK, this seems to be deterministic and not a HW-problem..

I am testing xfs on a brand new linux file server having a 1.1T xfs
filesystem in dual processor (Intel III Xeon 1GHz) motherboard
with 1G memory.

When using xfs with linux kernel 2.4.6 (compiled with egcs-2.91.66) and
Linux software RAID5 all processes accessing the /dev/md0 device lockup in
D-state when trying to write files from network with tar (kupdated, tar,
pagebuf_daemon and /bin/sync) typically after few hundred megabytes have
been written. Kdb tells me that all processes are hanging forever in
get_active_stripe().

All SCSI drives are still working, when accessed directly
through /dev/sda-g.. Oops, seems that they too get stuck after a while
(perhaps trying to write some pages to disk).

The same problem does not come up when using ext2.

/bin/free tells me this:
Mem:        899328     324772     574556          0     134952     115272
-/+ buffers/cache:      74548     824780
Swap:      2097136          0    2097136

Only thing I can do, is to reboot with /sbin/reboot -nf.

I've have seen other reports in mailing list with this kind of problem.
Are there known solutions? I think I might try the cvs version...

- Jani