Re: LVM on Linux

To: "Gonyou, Austin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVM on Linux
From: Ragnar Kjørstad <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:54:18 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 03:46:57PM -0500, Gonyou, Austin wrote:
> It would be much nicer to know, what frame the 64-bit is that he's talking
> about here. Also, If you have an enterprise storage system like EMC or
> Hitatchi, you're probably running hardware level mirroring/RAID anyway. At
> that point, there should be no need to worry if LVM is ready for that, since
> you'r probably going to concatenate anyway or do striping. (since that's all
> you need to do cause you're letting the hardware handle the other stuff for
> you) So I don't see a big issue here when doing this. Plus, you could always
> just use MD or RD anyway. For something like I use with EMC, and have
> mirrored disks anyway, It's not a problem, cause I just stripe. Everything
> else is already mirrored for me, so LVM is applying no major logic, other
> than what it was built to do. Also, ELVM? I believe it's EVMS, from IBM. The
> Enterprise Volume Management System.

Even for highend RAID's there are lots of reasons to use LVM/EVMS:
* load balancing across multiple scsi-channels (not implemented yet)
* Dynamic partitioning
* Volumes spanning multiple physical devices
* snapshotting.

Basicly handling this is software adds a lot of flexibility.

--
Ragnar Kjorstad
Big Storage