Re: "LILO: /dev/sda: Read-only file system" after /boot flirted withxfs

To: Federico Sevilla III <jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "LILO: /dev/sda: Read-only file system" after /boot flirted withxfs
From: Sergei Morozov <smv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:57:09 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > didn't work - scsi driver bonked
>
> Why don't you recompile a kernel with support for all your hardware and
> replace the one on the bootdisk? I normally do this. The fact that the

That's the xfs kernel that I had, and the kernel itself is just fine, it's
that lilo didn't want to put loader where it should; but also xfs kernel
would not fit on the disk. Anyway, once lilo's stupidity was punished by
upgrading, the need to make floppy bootdisk is less urgent.

> bootdisk has the proper libraries and utilities to create XFS partitions
> is good enough for me. I handle the kernel to support my hardware 100%.
> :)
>
> > both / and /boot were truly rw, but lilo was confused about it.
>
> I don't know if you've tried this, but the read-write option for the image
> that loads the XFS-aware kernel should help you out. Don't forget to
> update your fstab, as well, to put "rw" in the default options. :)

/etc/fstab had rw too, just lilo was stupid :-)

> Just in case ... :-)
>
>  --> Jijo
>
> --
> Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.

Writing is easy;
all you do is sit staring
at the blank sheet of paper until
drops of blood form on your forehead.