Re: "LILO: /dev/sda: Read-only file system" after /boot flirted withxfs

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "LILO: /dev/sda: Read-only file system" after /boot flirted withxfs
From: Sergei Morozov <smv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:02:51 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Problem solved by upgrading lilo to version 21.4-14
Apparently previous lilo was confused about the menaing of read-write.
Thanks all for suggestions, even if none were to the root of the problem.

> There is a link in the FAQ to a xfs-aware rescue/boot floppy set.
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#xfsbootdisks

didn't work - scsi driver bonked

> > > boot with something like init=/bin/sh and / is mounted ro, even when
> > > mount tells you it is rw. Maybe the problem was such thing. mtab
> > > will also report rw falsely, maybe cat /proc/mounts shows the truth.
> >
> >cat /proc/mounts still shows rw; also I can write on / and /boot fine, but
> >not lilo somehow.
>
> If you can format /boot correctly and mount it. Put a xfs-aware kernel in
> there and run lilo.
> I don't know if lilo checks for the rootfs to be ro or the /boot.

both / and /boot were truly rw, but lilo was confused about it.

        Sergei

Writing is easy;
all you do is sit staring
at the blank sheet of paper until